The Broody Coop Build Starts

Ruby and the chicks need a proper home! They’ll be fine in the cage for a few days, but with the cardboard box and drinker and feeder inside the cage there’s not much room for anything else – if it was only the chicks then this space would be okay, but add Ruby to the picture and things get a bit squashed!

I’m going to build a small broody coop and run for Ruby and her Rubies. I’ve thought about different designs and seen pictures of different setups, and the requirements will be:
• Coop and run to be used indoor for a few weeks then moved outside
• Predator and vermin proof
• Mesh to be about 13mm x 13mm squares to protect the chicks from vermin
• Coop area to be no more than 600mm x 600mm
• Run area to be 1800mm long
• Coop and run to be strong but relatively light so that is can be easily moved
• Removable roof panel for the run area
• Back of coop to be hinged for cleaning
• Roof of coop to be on a hinge

For these projects I have a rough idea in mind of how things will start, and rather than design everything on paper or the computer I prefer to have a clear starting point, and take things from there – I find being able to see things in front of you is a better design and build process for me. For this project, the starting point was the 2 600mm x 600mm side panels that would be made from a 45mm x 45mm timber framework, and clad with shiplap, so I started with these.

These sides were then joined together with the same framing material to create a cube, and the build was coming together. To speed things up I used stop blocks on the mitre saw to give consistent cuts; the framing timber was either 600mm long or 510mm long (to allow for 2 x 45mm widths) and the cladding would be 600mm also. For joining the frame together I made a drilling guide – basically a section of timber with holes marked out – for consistency of screw position, which were all 75mm outdoor deck screws. Again, to help speed things up, I use one drill with a combined drilling and countersink bit, and a separate impact driver for the screws.

By the end of the first day the frame was complete and two sides clad.

Share this page

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email